The Third day of Shukla Paksha of the Vaishākh Month of Hindu calendar is called as Akshaya Tritiya or Akha Teej or Akshay Tritiya. As a rule the date before the noon is taken as Akshaya Tritiya. This day is considered as one of the most auspicious days in Hindu religion. All the benevolent (distribute alms) and sacred deeds (Yagya, Japa, Vrata) done on this day are considered have an everlasting effect. Hence this is called as Akshaya (everlasting) Tritiya.
* Akshaya Tritiya is also regarded as the birthday of Lord Parshuram.
* Akshaya Tritiya is also called as Yugadi Tritiya as this day is regarded as the starting date for Satayuga – The period of the Truth.
Rituals & Customs:
* As per tradition in India this day is considered auspicious for embarking on new ventures, making investments and purchasing valuables like gold etc.
* Donating things like Laddo (Indian sweet made out of flour and a variety of other ingredients formed into balls), fans, food grains, money as alms can open the doors of heaven for you.
* Ganga Snan (Bathing in Ganges) is considered highly auspicious.
* Incarnations of Lord Vishnu are worshipped on this day with most people also offering special prayers to Goddess Lakshmi.